Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sparkly Opera Wrap

So, I left the chicks behind...I could easily have finished them on the boat, but I wasn't all too happy with the results. I have to mess around with the beaks a little bit (nope, I'm not gluing on orange felt...I just won't do it!). I knew the boat was fully loaded. Not a single spare seat going. I had to knit or crochet something small, with small needles or a hook. I chose, yes, a wrap (Stolen Moments Wrap, Designed by Amy M. Swenson for Make One Yarn Studio - available free online! http://www.make1yarns.com/patterns/StolenMomentsWrap.pdf) with bulky weight yarn (so not what the pattern calls for - Moda Dea Cache, Smartie http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=3065)! I stuffed a couple of the balls of yarn into my bag, along with a size 8mm/14in long needles and folded up the pattern to just show the main part of the pattern (cause, you know, it was that piece of paper that made this project too bulky!). Once on the boat, I started to knit. Kids pointed and asked their mothers what I was doing, the person sitting next to me about jumped out of her seat when she saw the knitting needles come out (abandon ship...deadly weapon on board!). I was about twelve rows in when I realized, I had misread the pattern. Even so, I really liked what was becoming of my multicoloured, thick/thin yarn! I had to make this right. I frogged all the way back...I even cast on again. I'm about 10 inches in at this point, one ball of yarn down, another five to go. This is turning into my favourite project ever! I can't believe it. A simple lace wrap...it's soft, it sparkles, it's elegant without being dainty. It's everything I have ever wanted in a wrap. I am going to keep this one for myself!

No comments: